Sunday 22 July 2012

What am I thinking????

My lovely friend, Scout, has been bitten by the crochet bug.  To put it simply....she is hooked (har, har, har).  Following some small practise projects, she is taking it to the next level by tackling a great big ripple blanket.  

IT'S ALL HER FAULT!  Normally, the idea of a large scale project like a blanket is an anathema to me; I know the initial excitement fades, the boundless motivation soon leaves, the overwhelming resentment kicks in and the blanket becomes a big, woolly millstone glaring at me malevolently from the M & S bag it's been ingloriously stuffed into. The rapid descent from eager-beaver to cannae-be-arsed-molerat is unavoidable.

Craft Humour

My extensively researched graph

So, why did I allow myself to get so caught up in her plans?  Why have I just created a foundation chain that is (count 'em) 285 stitches long?

Crochet Blanket Half Treble Foundation Chain

Why have I just spent £60 on Rico Creative Cotton in various shades of yellow/orange/red?

Crochet Rico Creative Cotton

Why have I spent an entire afternoon trying to crochet Little Woollie's beautiful Star Stitch, only to decide that, um, actually, I can only see myself ever completing a blanket stitched solely in Half -Trebles?

Crochet Star Stitch

I blame Scout.  Her enthusiasm is infectious.  The baby cashmerino yarn she bought was so pretty.  She even got to go on a solo, leisurely recon trip to John Lewis and enjoy the.......              

‎`´✫¸.•°*˜˜*°•✫ Wonderful Wall of Wool ✫¸.•°*˜˜*°•.✫

Alone
Without children
Or husband

*Sigh*  

I should know better, however, what is done is done and I hereby name this project..................

 'Flora's 21st Birthday blanket' 

Do you think 18 years is enough time?

To distract, here are two other things that have been made this week.

Crochet Granny Stripe Hood








The odd looking child is wearing a bonnet/scarf combo that my husband kindly christened 'The Barf'.  I found a pattern on Ravelry and just used oddments of acrylic aran I literally had lying around the house.  Had to fiddle around with the tension a little but, in the end, as always, she'll grow into it.


Sewing Applique


Our local library is taking the global recession very seriously indeed and is running a little course of 'Make Do and Mend' afternoons.  Now, I am pretty lucky as it's my pal, Aly, that's responsible for the classes, so we got a heads up and Flora and I ambled over on Wednesday.  Two hours is a long time for a 3 year old, especially when surrounded by things she's not allowed to touch, but she really enjoyed it; she decided our cushion would have our house on it, she chose appropriate material to represent the actual fabric of the house (yes, our roof is pink fun fur.  Wanna make something of it??) and she eagerly helped me sew it all together on the sewing machines.  She also tried to stick everything together with purple glitter fabric glue, repeatedly used Aly as a climbing wall and protected the Herman cake we had brought like an Olympic Flame Security Guard who got Rottweiler teeth for Christmas but you can't have everything.

All this and I went rollerskating?

Madness.

Laters dudes

Luv Egg on a Stick x

2 comments:

  1. How have I scoured the whole of Ravelry and not seen that Harlequin Hood before? I must make one immediately!

    ReplyDelete